Pine hopes J.J. Abrams treks back from 'Star Wars'
Posted January 31, 2013
Star Trek franchise star Chris Pine says he's thrilled that his director is shipping out to another universe for awhile - but he better return at warp speed.
When Disney announced last week that J.J. Abrams, director of 2009's Star Trek and the forthcoming Star Trek Into Darkness (due May 17), had been hired to direct Star Wars: Episode VII for 2015, it shook up everyone in the cinematic sci-fi world, particularly its leading lights.
"The only way I'll be disappointed is if he doesn't direct our third movie," says Pine, who plays Captain Kirk. "I think if that turns out to be the case we'll have to kidnap him and hold him hostage until he agrees to do a third."
All jokes aside, Pine believes Abrams will rock the Star Wars series.
"From my standpoint, J.J. is a science-fiction genius," says Pine. "To have him over in the Star Wars camp is going to be a great thing. I'm sure it's going to be a great film."
Last week, Paramount Vice Chairman Rob Moore said Abrams is committed to produce another Star Trek film, but there's no word as to whether he will direct.
Pine, who'll also assume the CIA agent title role in Jack Ryan (out Christmas Day), acknowledges that a controversy has arisen over a director moving back and forth between the two mega-bucks franchises: "There are fans from both camps who have their opinion on that.''
As for speculation that Pine or Kirk might appear, even in cameo, in Star Wars, Pine puts up the full deflector shields.
"Now you're really playing with fire,'' he says. "I wouldn't say that even lightly."
Latest in Entertainment